Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Welcome New Residents to Your New Home


There are a number of new residents moving to THD this month of May. Seeing new faces in the Dining Room and eating alone disturbs me. It brought back memories of my first few days here in THD last June. Thus if I had a chance, I always introduce myself and personally welcome them. 

The first resident I met eating alone last May 2 was Dusan Pecka. I learned he is local and his former residence is just a few blocks from THD. The last time I talked to him was the other day when he was talking about the repainting his former apartment, so it could be ready for the Market. I did some Internet Search on Dusan and here's the link.

https://indyfin.com/financial-advisor/california/walnut-creek/dusan-pecka-2246478/

The second resident I was introduced to is Mary Alice Rathbun. Her official  Greeter is my neighbor Sandi Green.  Mary Alice moved to the second Floor of our Building-The Fairmount Tower just a days ago.  I saw her in the Garage asking for direction to the Newton's restaurant on her first day. I learned she moved from Oakland. She was a former Educator and the Personal Assistant of Rita Moreno. She had been very active in her younger days with the Rotary Club International. I did some internet search and here's the link. 

https://portal.clubrunner.ca/4973/stories/august-is-membership-month

https://www.facebook.com/berkeleyrotary/photos/a.737917822900518/3381721348520139/?type=3

The names of the other new residents are:

1. Eileen Breismeister- I met her on the Lobby with her son a fews days ago. She moved to the Liberty Building.  I have seen her with other residents at breakfast. She appeared to be very easy to talk to and friendly at our last Cocktail Hour last Friday.

2. Steve Davis- I met Steve several days ago. I saw him eating alone at Newton several times. I learned he is the brother of owner Val Watts. He moved from Monterey. I saw Steve Dancing with Marsha during our last Cocktail Hour last Friday. 

3. Carle ( Carol) Hirahara- Carol moved to the Liberty Building the first week of May. She has now joined  in our mahjong game every Thursday afternoon. I heard she moved from Roosmoor. She and Peggy Yamada are good friends.

4. Janette McHale- I have no idea who she is. All I know is that she moved to the second floor of the Heritage Building. I have not seen her at Newton during meal times. 

5. Judy Mullin- I have played bridge with Judy. However, after her first day of playing bridge with the Friday Group, she decided not to continue. She moved to the Plaza Tower.  I heard Judy had raised 8 children. 

6. The most recent new residents are: Shari and Jay Redka- The couple moved from Moraga. Both are friendly and had responded positively to my greetings. They moved here only 3 days ago.   

7. Last Sunday, I met an incoming resident (another Roosmor transferee) with her son.  Teresa introduced them to me in the Lobby.  It was their first day for Brunch at Newtons. They seemed lost so I helped them get a table where they joined Linda M and Anne L for brunch.   I believed her name is Susan Hoyt also from Roosmoor.   

I heard that Jenny and Teresa are expecting more new residents by the end of May and June. More Power to the Leasing Department for the flock of new residents. More additional income to THD assures us that this Senior Independent Living  Community will not be a victim of acquisition by a Mega-Corporation specializing in Senior Living Facilities in the US such as Brookdale, Atria, Sisco  and others. 

 https://www.statista.com/statistics/894258/seniors-housing-owners-by-number-of-properties-usa/#:~:text=Welltower%20Inc%2C%20Ventas%20Inc%2C%20and,total%20of%20over%2090%2C000%20units.

Again, welcome to All New Residents. If you want to receive my daily blogs on my life here at THD, please send me your Email. I will be delighted to add you in my active THD Distribution List.

Meanwhile, sightings of the Mystery Resident in the Fairmount Tower had been more frequent. My encounter with the phantom resident was about 3 weeks ago, where I invited her and she accepted to join us during our Zumba Exercises. Later on during the week, I saw her asking for coffee at Newton and the other day asking for the newspaper in the Front Desk. She is always wearing a mask and carrying a recycle bag. She seemed to be always in a hurry. I have greeted her and she responds with no feeling.  

I heard also that a replacement for Galen Corson ( Activity) had been hired. I will missed you Galen and wondering if our June Lunch Excursion tentatively scheduled for June 20 to a Filipino restaurant will still be on schedule. June is Philippines History Month. The plan is for a Lunch Excursion Open to All Residents to Michelin rated restaurant in Oakland ( FOB Kitchen). This is in connection with THD Monthly Travel Series Activity Program initiated by Galen during her first few months here at THD. 

Good Luck Galen in your new adventure and job.  I also heard that the coming new Activity Coordinator ( Emma) has Filipino Ancestry.   She will be trained by Galen along with our other newly- hired activity coordinator Cydney Carbah.  Looking forward for the smooth continuation of our activities here in THD in spite of the frequent employee turn-over in this Section. The last Activity coordinator replaced by Cydney lasted only for 3 days.  Is there something rotten in Denmark? 

Now for my Picture of the Day....


Me and Indiana Jones- From the Temple of Doom 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...