Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Meal Times Conversations Here at THD-Homelessness and Medical Missions

 Last month, I had the pleasure of joining two ladies for dinner here at THD. Our meal times conversations were stimulating and educational. We discussed the homelessness in Walnut Creek as well as in the State and what Governor Newsom and the mayors of big cities are currently doing to alleviate this problem. Sacramento, my former home have the most number of the homeless compared to other big cities in the State. Here's the latest news from the New York Times and Asian Journal dated September 20, 2023 and October 10, 2023 respectively.

Between 2020 and 2022, the number of homeless people in Sacramento County increased by 68 percent, to 9,278, according to the latest federal data. By comparison, San Diego County’s homeless population increased by 10 percent, and Los Angeles County’s by 2 percent. Sacramento County now has more homeless residents than San Francisco.

“Across the nation, Sacramento was one of the places where homelessness grew the most,” said Marisol Cuellar Mejia, a research fellow at the Public Policy Institute of California, which analyzed the data

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/11/us/california-homeless-spending/index.html#:~:text=Across%20the%20country%2C%20homelessness%20is,unhoused%20people%20now%20live%20here.

https://asianjournal.com/usa/california/california-takes-action-to-tackle-homelessness-2/

However, the topic that aroused my personal interest was the medical missions in the Philippines. One of my lady dinner -mate informed us that her nephew(MD) had been involved with MEDICAL missions in the Philippines, specifically facial and hare-lip surgeries for the needy in the rural provinces in the Philippines every year. I told the group, I have been personally involved with medical missions in the Philippines in the island of Marinduque- our second home.  

Macrine (RIP) and other Volunteers Help in the Distribution of Free Medicines to the Needy

Allow me to repost some of my previous blogs on our ( Macrine and I) involvement with this humanitarian activity for our former fellow province mates.      

https://chateaudumer.blogspot.com/2016/06/my-involvement-with-medical-missions-in.html

https://chateaudumer.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-notes-conducting-and-organizing.html

https://chateaudumer.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-heart-melted-and-i-cried-again.html

 I volunteered as a Translator for our Non-Tagalog Speaking Doctors. I was also acting as Treasurer during the Medical Mission, while Macrine was the over-all coordinator. 

My Quotes for Today: You Give but Little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahlil Gibran, 1883-1931, Lebanese Poet, Artist and Mystic

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...