Saturday, November 25, 2023

I Experienced Discrimination Because of the Way I Look

There were two episodes of my life here in the US that I experienced discrimination because of the color of my skin and the way I look.  I am reposting this today after reading an article recently that one out of five Asian-American born in the US hide their ancestry to Non-Asians because of fear of rejection and not able to "fit in". 

The first episode was in Gladstone, Missouri( suburb of Kansas City) in 1965 and the second was in San Diego, California in 1982. 

The David B Katague Family at the Hamilton Heights Swim Club, Gladstone. Mo. 1965

"Our Life in Missouri will not be complete if I do not write this incident about a subtle racial discrimination my family experienced from our local swim club.

In 1965, my wife and three children experienced their first discrimination experience in Gladstone, Missouri.   Gladstone is a northern suburb of Kansas City, Missouri with about 99.5% Caucasian population at that time.

The discrimination was not blatant but very subtle. After relocating in Missouri for my first job after my Ph.D graduation from the University of Illinois, my family and I joined a Country Swim Club just a couple of blocks and a walking distance from our rented residence. 

My wife, Macrine, and the kids would swim at the country club twice or three times a week. The first day, they were there, she overheard the conversation from two middle-aged ladies. She heard a comment of the first lady to her friend, "look we are getting invaded by blacks already". Macrine look around, but there were no black families around; she and the kids were the only colored ( brown) relaxing and swimming in the pool area. Macrine was bothered by what she heard but did not get upset. She continued watching the kids swimming in the pool and relayed her experience later to me. 
 

The David B Katague Family, Platte Woods, Missouri, Christmas Photo-1966 

After our second year in the neighborhood, we became more active socially and became well-known to the Gladstone community. I was elected by the members of the club as treasurer for two years. I was handling the payroll of three employees and collecting the membership fees of the 300 members. I was delighted that the club members and Board of Directors trusted me with their finances. I therefore conclude that the cure for discrimination is education and ignorance is the mother of prejudice".

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

This is the second episode of discrimination and stereotyping I experienced in 1982 because of the way I look. 

"Macrine and I attended a 3-DAY of Tennis Class and Vacation Package at the Rancho Bernardo Inn, San Diego, California which at that time was a five star resort  to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in 1982.

Rancho Bernardo Inn, San Diego, Caliornia
The following article (excerpt in Chapter 10 from my autobiography, written in 2009) is an example of an ethnic stereotyping based on my skin and appearance as an Asian man and a Filipino. 

"Life in Pinole, California would not be complete, If I do not write about our tennis activities as related to our 25th Wedding Anniversary in 1982. As part of our community activities, Macrine and I played tennis almost everyday after work. On weekends. I also played double with the men's team at Contra Costa College. So, as one of my silver wedding anniversary gift to Macrine, we decided to attend a 3-day tennis academy package at Rancho Bernardo Inn in San Diego. The five star resort is home of one of the best tennis academy in California at that time. For the three days, we played tennis 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. In between tennis we had gourmet meals and entertainment at night. The cost of the tennis package was very expensive, comparable to the cost of playing golf and staying at Bellarocca Resort here in Marinduque today.

https://chateaudumer.blogspot.com/2012/10/bellarocca-resort-versus-balesin-island.html

The cost of the trip was not my concern, since it was my Silver Wedding Anniversary gift to both Macrine and myself. An incident at the resort is why I am mentioning this trip. As soon as we check in, Macrine stayed at the front office to smoke, while I carried our luggage to our room. On my way to our room, an elderly white couple approached me and requested that I also helped them with their luggage as soon as I finished what I was doing. I gave them a surprise stare and blurted out, "I am just checking in myself, and I do not worked here". They apologized profusely. 

Later on, I realized why I had been mistaken for a porter. About 95% of the resort porters, janitors and maintenance workers were either Filipinos or Mexicans. This incident is an example of how people judged you with the color of your skin and not what you had accomplished or what is in your head".

The above tennis vacation package, a post 25th wedding anniversary gift to my wife and myself, we will never forget, because it reminds us of our younger days. Moreover, the above incident also reminds us that most people first impression of you is your external appearance and not what is inside your heart and head.

If you are a Filipino-American, have you experience a similar incident in your life? I will be glad to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...