Saturday, April 17, 2021

I will be Losing My Independence Soon by Not Driving

My Car ( 2000 Nissan Maxima-above), is showing signs it will probably conked out soon. My car would not start. David diagnosed it is either the battery or the starter. However, when he check it, it seems that the battery and starter are OK and the problem may be related to the programming of the anti-theft system. I have an appointment via mobile auto mechanics for diagnosis next week with estimated cost of $125.   If the cost for repair exceeds $1K, I may not have it repaired. 

Today, I am debating whether I buy a second hand car or not, if the repair cost of my car exceeds $1K. Next week, I will decide whether I buy a second hand car if the repair cost exceeds $1K.  I only use my car once or twice a week just to go to the grocery store, bank and other errands since last year when the pandemic started. 

I purchased my 2000 Maxima in Maryland for $21K two decades ago. Five years ago, I had a major engine-transmission overhaul costing around $5K. After the overhaul and four brand new tires, the car drove like new.  The current trade-in value for my car varies from $200 to $1500 depending on condition and mileage. My car has low mileage because in 2002 I retired so most of the time the car is just in the garage. I plan on just donating the above car to charity. The new 2021 Nissan Maxima is listed around $41K ( see photo). If I were young and still working, I will have no hesitation in buying this new model.

By not buying a car I saved money on insurance and maintenance. Moreover, my driver license will expire at the end of the year and I do not feel like renewing it.

David III promised me he will drive me to the grocery store once a week. Currently, I order my grocery on line once a month. Ordering on line is more expensive and your choice is limited. I also used Door Dash and or Postmate Food Delivery Services almost every other day for restaurant food. I attend Mass on line every Sunday via Heart of the Nation. I go to the bank (ATM) once in a month.  So I really do not need a car, except the thought that by not driving  I will lose my independence. After all, I have been driving since 1960 here in the US (with untarnished driving records in California, Missouri and Maryland). 

My oldest son suggested that I try not buying a car for 3 to 6 months and see how I feel.   Wish me luck with my new future life style. If I need to go out and David or Ditas is not around to drive me, I could always call Uber or Lift.   In case of emergency I can call 911 for ambulance services.

Meanwhile, enjoy this photo of my mini-succulent Garden I cultivated just recently.


Personal Note: With my children driving me for errands it will be a Reversal of Roles. When the 4D's were young, I drove them to their school and personal activities specifically during our week-end outings to the zoos, beaches, national parks and other recreational areas.  

Post Mortem as of 4/21/21: The RepairSmith Mobile Mechanic diagnosed I need a new starter and serpentine belt which will cost around $599 installed with warranty of 12,000 miles or one year. I decided to have my car repaired.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...