Since I began blogging in 2009, I have written thousands of essays and personal reflections on almost every subject imaginable. My readers have accompanied me on journeys through food, travel, politics, history, books, movies, television shows, science, medicine, faith, and the everyday adventures of growing older. Along the way, I even ventured into writing a few poems and two song parodies.
Recently, however, I tried something entirely different.
I wrote my first satire about life at my residence, The Heritage Downtown (THD) in Walnut Creek. To my surprise, it generated an unusually warm response. Fellow residents stopped me to say how much they enjoyed it. Recently, I converted the satire piece to a poem. One resident even asked for permission to use( the Poem) as part of a discussion at their weekly meeting. I gladly agreed and felt deeply honored.
That made me wonder: Why did this piece resonate so strongly?
I believe the answer lies in the unique power of satire.
Unlike criticism, satire allows us to examine ourselves through the gentle lens of humor. It exaggerates familiar situations just enough for us to recognize them while inviting us to laugh instead of becoming defensive. Good satire does not attack people; it celebrates our shared human imperfections.
Every resident at THD has experienced many of the same daily routines. We all know the personalities, the dining room conversations, the activity schedules, the little triumphs and occasional frustrations that come with communal living. My satire transformed these ordinary experiences into something resembling a university campus, where every resident became both student and professor in the great classroom of aging.
The humor worked because it was rooted in truth. As the old saying goes, "Many a true word is spoken in jest."
Another reason it connected with readers is that laughter becomes more precious as we grow older. Senior citizens have lived through wars, economic recessions, illnesses, family joys and sorrows, and countless personal challenges. By the time we reach our eighties and nineties, we have earned the right to laugh at ourselves. Humor reminds us that aging may change our bodies, but it need not diminish our spirit.
Satire also creates community. When readers recognize themselves in a humorous story, they realize they are not alone. They discover that their neighbors share the same observations, the same little annoyances, and the same appreciation for life's absurd moments. Laughter becomes a bridge that strengthens friendships.
Looking back, I realize that this satire was different from many of my previous essays. Most of my writing informs, teaches, or reflects. This one entertained while gently inviting reflection. Perhaps that is why it found such an appreciative audience.
At ninety-one years of age, I continue to discover new ways to write. That is one of the joys of being a lifelong learner. Age should never prevent us from experimenting with new forms of expression. In fact, our many years of experience provide rich material that younger writers have not yet accumulated.
This unexpected success has encouraged me to write more satire in the future, not to criticize, but to celebrate the delightful quirks of everyday life in our senior community.
If my writing can bring a smile to someone's face, spark a thoughtful conversation, or brighten an ordinary afternoon, then I have accomplished something worthwhile.
After all, there are few medicines in life that are as inexpensive, as effective, and as universally welcome as a good laugh.
And perhaps that is the greatest lesson my first satire has taught me.
AI Overview:
Your experience reminds me of something that many writers eventually discover: readers often remember the pieces that make them smile even more than the pieces that make them think.
After writing thousands of essays over the past seventeen years, your satire about life at The Heritage Downtown struck a different chord because it allowed your fellow residents to laugh at themselves without feeling ridiculed. That is a rare gift.



No comments:
Post a Comment