Sunday, May 30, 2021

Time for Some Classical Music-Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez

Today, the Jambalos Clan of Northern California is celebrating that all of the Clan have been fully vaccinated.  The get-together is hosted By Charro Jambalos-Levine at her residence in Palo Alto.  I was planning on attending ( Ditas will drive me) but this morning I woke up under the weather( stomach problems, aching back and just lethargic) so I decided to stay home. So today it is time for some classical music as follows: This is a reprint from my blogs a few years ago. 

This is one of my favorite piece of music. It reminded me of the hard years and loneliness I experienced when I was in graduate school alone for over a year so I could attained my goal to get my Doctor of Philosophy in Pharmaceutical Chemistry at the University of Illinois in Chicago during the early 1960's. 

This is an article I wrote about this concerto in my blogs a couple of years ago.

https://theintellectualmigrant.blogspot.com/search?q=concerto+de+aranjuez

And here's an article of my Interview by Mr Rickarby of BBC, Bristol, UK  

Last July, 2013 Mr Melvin Rickarby of Radio 4, BBC, Bristol, UK interviewed me on how and why Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez touched my heart. The summary of the interview along with other fans of Rodrigo were taped and you could download it in the website as follows:

SoulMusic: Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez for Guitar, Tuesday, July 09, 2013 4:00 AM

My three minute interview start at 11 minutes and ends at 14 minutes of the 27 minutes tape. I felt weird hearing my own voice with my distinguishable Ilonggo-American accent. However, I am proud to be chosen by BBC as one of the fans of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/soulmusic/rss.xml

A brief summary of the recording which was broadcasted live on July 9, 2013 at 4:00AM is as follows:

Written by Joaquin Rodrigo in 1939, the Concierto de Aranjuez is a guitar classic. It was written amid the chaos of the Spanish Civil War, and in circumstances of poverty and personal tragedy. This progamme explores how the piece touches and changes people's lives.

The composer's daughter Cecilia Rodrigo explains how the blind composer was inspired by the fountains and gardens of the palace of Aranjuez. Nelício Faria de Sales recounts an unforgettable performance deep inside one of Brazil's largest caves, while David B Katague remembers how the piece got him through a difficult period of separation from his family in the Philippines.

Guitarist Craig Ogden explains the magic of the piece for a performer, and actor Simon Callow recalls how hearing the piece was a formative experience for him during his schooldays, when it turned rural Berkshire into a piece of Spain.

Producer: Melvin Rickarby

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/soulmusic/rss.xml
Media files: soul music_20130709-1200a.mp3 (MP3 Format Sound, 12.7 MB)

Here's a rendition of this piece by Hauser ( cello) and Ceku( guitar) that I am sure you will enjoy.

 

Meanwhile enjoy this photo of my crystal animals collection

A horse, two turtle doves, a swan, a dolphin and an Elephant

Have a Safe Memorial Day Weekend!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...