Monday, July 9, 2018

Another Trip to the Emergency Room and An Overnight Stay at Mercy San Juan Hospital


Last Friday morning, Macrine can not moved and confused and slept until 1PM. She was feverish (100.4) and I had a feeling another UTI infection is brewing. She had her Catheter replaced the day before. I checked her blood sugar and it reads 150 ( normal). I called our regular Family Physician ( his office was closed) and talked to the Physician on Call. He agreed about a possible another UTI attack and asked me if I want an antibiotic prescription. I said I think we should just call for an ambulance for the Emergency Room of the Mercy San Juan Hospital. He agreed.

We called an ambulance and arrived at the ER about 1:30PM. After 4 hours of the numerous standard tests in the ER, Macrine's urine was positive. Her other blood tests though were Ok. She was immediately given an IV antibiotic and fluids. Macrine appeared in good spirits after 5 hours in the ER. Since she did not eat breakfast or lunch, Macrine was hungry. The ER was able to get her a turkey sandwich and Cranberry juice. Macrine eat her sandwich with gusto. The ER physician recommended an overnight stay until the results of Macrine's urine culture is done. The attending nurse including the Chief Nurse and even the Indian-American housekeeper was very friendly and helpful to me during Macrine's 5 hours stay in the ER.

It was almost 6:30PM when we had an available room at the Main Hospital. The room was located at the Russell Towers in the 5th Floor. It was a single room. The room was small but had space for a lounging chair for me to sleep for the overnight stay. The attending nurse and Chief Nurse for the night shift were Filipino Americans. At first the nurse thought Macrine was Chinese-American. Later on when she realized we were Filipino-Americans, she became more friendly. Her service was excellent. She changed the dressings on Macrine's wound on her right heel. She monitored her IV and turned her every 2 hours. In the morning at 7AM the end of her shift, she introduced us to the Day Nurse who was a Caucasian. The Day nurse appeared haughty and aloof, but the Nurse Assistant was very helpful and cheerful( also a Caucasian). The Nurse Assistant immediately asked me If I wanted coffee and I said yes. She said she will be back after she finished getting the VITALs of her other patients.

At 7:30 AM I had my free coffee. At 8:00 AM, the nurse assistant brought us 2 breakfast TRAYS, ONE for me and the other for Macrine. I was surprised since I did not expect this. I was ready to go down to the Hospital Cafeteria and buy my own breakfast, but this unexpected service was indeed very much welcome. At 11:00AM the Physical therapist came to evaluate Macrine. At 11:30AM Mele came to relieve me. The Physician who is supposed to make a decision whether Macrine will be release in the Hospital has not arrived. When I came home at 11:45AM, David received a text from Mele that Macrine will be released today as soon as the paper work is finished. David went to the hospital to help Mele for Macrine's homecoming. At 1:30PM, I called Macrine's room. Mele answered that the discharged nurse is still working on the paper work. At 2:30PM Mele and David was in our garage transporting Macrine from the car to her wheel chair. Before entering the house, Macrine enjoyed a cigarette at 100F temperature in our outside patio. At 3:00 PM I went to the Pharmacy to pick up Macrine's antibiotic tablets (10 tablets of Amoxicillin).

All in all I am very happy of the services of the nurses and physicians and other personnels of Mercy San Juan Hospital. We are lucky this time that Macrine's UTI was a mild one and was caught up early. Thank you, Mercy San Juan for the excellent services of your medical personnel and other support employees for a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...