Saturday, July 14, 2018

A Message of Gratitude-It is Indeed a Small World

Rena Lathrop and Husband ( From Rena's FaceBook Page).

Some time ago, I received this message( in Ilonggo) via FB messaging. I was surprise of this unexpected message of Gratitude. This message brings back memories of my life in the Philippines and reminds me of the history of the Land Reform Movement in the Philippines in the early 1960's. The Agricultural Land Reform Code (RA 3844) was a major advancement of land reform in the Philippines and was enacted in 1963 under President Diosdado Macapagal. It abolished tenancy and established a leasehold system in which farmers paid fixed rentals to landlords, rather than a percentage of harvest. The 2nd phase of the land reform program (CARP) was instituted under the Cory Aquino Administration(1986-1992). All my 10 hectares of inherited Riceland in Barrio San Geronimo, Barotac Viejo, Iloilo, Philippines were affected.


A typical rice field scenery in rural Philippines. This picture reminded me of the 10-hectare of Riceland I inherited but had not give me a single income after the 1963 Land reform was instituted in the town of Barotac Viejo, Iloilo, Philippines.

Hello Tito David, kamusta? Ako si Rena, bata nga subang ni Ramon Badayos nga taga San Geronimo.

My Translation: Hello Uncle David, How are you? I am Rena, the oldest daughter of Ramon Badayos from San Geronimo.

San Geronimo is one of the barrios of Barotac Viejo Iloilo Philippines. I inherited a 10-hectare parcel of Riceland from my parents. Ramon Badayos and his mother is one of the ten of my mother's tenant in San Geronimo. In my case with one exception during and after the land reform almost all rental and rice products were no longer paid to the land owners. During and after the 1963 reform, my mother (and Me) and my sister who manages my land in my absence had never received the fixed rental supposed to be paid to the land owners as required by the Law. During this time, I was already residing in the US and had received zero rentals* from my 10 hectares of inherited Riceland in San Geronimo, Barotac Viejo, Iloilo, Philippines.

Here's the message:

Tito, gusto ko lang magpasalamat sa imo in behalf ni nanay kag tatay sa tanan nga nabulig nyo sa amon. Tungod sa imo duta may naestaran kami kag nakuhaan sang amon palangabuhian sa kada adlaw. Dako gd katama ang nabulig sang uma kag sa bukid kay maski ano ka pigado kag sakripisyo ang amon na experiensyahan, nahimakasan kmi nila nga napatapos sa pag eskwela. Thank you so much. God bless you more and your family.

Rough Translation: Uncle, I just like to express my thanks to you for the help you given us in behalf of my mother and Father. Your land where we live and obtained our livelihood has helped my parents a lot and was able to send me and my siblings to finish our education. Thank you so much. God bless you more and your family.

My Response: You are welcome. Are you still in Fairfield, Ca? Your two kids are handsome.

Rena response: Thank You (Salamat). Yes, we're here in Fairfield, in Cordelia (sa may Cordelia).
Note: Cordelia and Fair Oaks is within 80 minutes driving time, less if there is no traffic. It is indeed a small world!

My Response: Come visit us when you have the time. My wife and I are in our 80's ( matanda na). We are old already. My wife has Parkinson's and have a hard time travelling. We are blessed that our son lives with us and help me takes care of his MOM. Rena, I am touched by your message. I remember your Lola very well. She was in my Mother's house almost every month before the Land reform. May I post your message in my blogs?

Rena Response: Thanks for the invitation. Yes, I will be very glad if we can come and visit your place. We will be travelling to Washington State next week to visit my husband's family. We will plan a schedule to come over at your house when we get back.
Yes, you can post it in your blogs.

Si tatay amo man gihapon, gapananom lang ghapon ka mga utanon kag baligya sa banwa during harvest. He loves working in the field. Kag ang sa bukid damo sila nga napundar, kay ang ika apat ko nga manghod amo ang ga atender didto. There's so much memories in the up hill area and it is very hard to let go. Malipay gid ni si tatay kon mahambalan ko siya nga naka exchange ako ka conversation sa imo.

My Rough Translation: My Father is still the same. He plants vegetables and sells it to the town market. My 4th youngest brother takes care of the land and fields. My father will be happy to know that I am in touch with you.

Looking forward for your visit. How old is your father( Tatay na?)

*Note: Just recently I heard from my sister in the Philippines that one of the tenants and his heirs have been faithfully paying their rental to the encargado for a number years. However my sister who manages my lands has never received those payments.

Anyway, The above message brightens my day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...