Sunday, June 23, 2013

My First Vegetable and Beef Soup Dish


I cooked my first Vegetable Beef Soup dish yesterday. Ever since (about 7 months ago) when my wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, I was forced to help in the kitchen. I have never cooked in my life before my first dish, a Filipino Chicken Vegetable soup (Tinola) that I described in my blogs about a month ago. Today, I enjoy cooking and am learning a few cooking tips everyday.

Yesterday, I cooked my first Vegetable Beef soup dish. I purchased 1.5 lbs beef shank, 2 lbs soup bones and ½ lbs of beef stew meat. After washing the meat, I placed it in a boiling crock pot containing about 12 cups of water. I added salt and garlic powder and one sliced onion. I continued the boiling until the meat was soft. I added 1 lb peeled taro roots cubes ( gabi roots in Philippines), then ½ lbs of washed fresh green beans cut about 6 inches. I continue the boiling until the taro roots were cooked then add one sliced green pepper and two hot sliced jalopenos ( seeds removed). The Jalopenos will give the soup a spicy taste. Omit the jalopenos, if you do not want a spicy flavor.

When all the vegetables were cooked, I added 10 bok choy stalks( washed) and simmer the pot for another 5 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to suit your taste. Served with steam rice. Bon Apetit!

Note: If the soup is not salty enough to your taste, add patis ( fish sauce). In my case, I add hot pecante sauce, since I love hot and spicy dishes. The two jalopenos above did give the soup a spicy taste, but not spicy enough for those who love hot and spicy dishes. If taro roots are not available in your area, you may substitute it with potato cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...